Thursday, September 19, 2013

Worth the Wait

So, I took a little longer than I anticipated to write post numero dos.  With re-enrolling in school, my work load picking up and spending a week vacationing with friends in the OBX, it was hard to squeeze in anything to write about.  I suspect, though, that you will all find this was worth the wait. 
I mentioned in my revival post that the overall theme of this blog was changing.  I just want to talk about things I am passionate about.  And one of the things I am most passionate about is relationships.  This includes my family, friends and, of course, Kyrin.  We met seven and a half years ago through a mutual friend and while it was not love at first sight, it was most certainly love at first conversation…for me, anyway.  I remember it didn’t take long for me, serial dater extraordinaire, to pick up the phone and tell my mom and best friend that I had found “the one”.  Never in a million years did I think I would fall in love after just one conversation, albeit a lengthy one.  I was struck by how much we had in common:  our fervor for all things sports (the Jets thing didn’t sway me), the strong bond with our parents, our religious and spiritual perspectives, our love of beer (you didn’t think I’d leave that out, did you?), (most) of our musical tastes, our sense of humor, and the list goes on and on.  And even while we had so much in common, I remember loving those things we didn’t necessarily agree on 100% (politics, being an only child vs. having a sibling, obsession with cars, reality tv) because they made us different (really, if I wanted to date myself I’d probably be institutionalized…I’m no picnic all the time).    I loved getting to know him and why he loved what he loved.  I even loved the first time I rode in his car and tried to switch the station to play country music and how he refused to allow it.  Fast forward to today and you can hear Kyrin singing the newest Jason Aldean song in the shower. Bottom line, we grew together and grew up together.  Sure, we haven’t known each other since we were in the sandbox, but we grew from dumb 23 year olds to semi intelligent 31 year olds.  We evolved together…not just as a couple but as individuals.  We moved in together, we bought a home, we have seen each other through some of the most difficult lows in our lives, we have stood by one another when others stood against us, we fight together, we love together, we learn together.  He’s my best friend and I’m incredibly blessed that I have him as my ultimate partner.
All that being said, I’m sure you want to know what the point of this post really is.  So, I guess it’s time to let the cat outta the bag….after 7 years, 4 months and 22 days (who’s counting?) Kyrin asked me the most important question of our lives. 

And let me tell you, he was well worth the wait <3
“Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.”  - Robert Heinlein

3 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS!!! :-) Congrats to both of you-- I am beyond thrilled and excited that you get to plan the best party of your life now:) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you! Congrats to both of you!
    Love you sis! :) Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one deserves that rock more than you!! Congratulations!! XOXO Love Carrie, Taylor, Matty, & Bailey

    ReplyDelete