Monday, September 23, 2013

Seek and Ye Shall Find

Well, it's happening and I didn't even plan for it. This blog is now becoming wedding central lol. How can you expect anything less? I mean I did promise to write about stuff I love and I love to 1) plan parties, 2) create diy projects, and 3) do things on a budget. So, I think it's natural I'd share. Besides, it's my blog and I can do what I wanna lol :)

We went venue hunting over the weekend and let me tell you, venues are no joke. They are expensive. I was getting quotes as low as $800 for 4 hours for a facility that holds 75 (super cute but too small) to $10k for a weekend. Sure the latter sounds appealing: gather everyone together for the whole weekend and boom, easy peasy. But there is so much more than just that. You need to worry about every logistic imaginable from flowers to your photographer to food and your music. In the end, your weekend getaway ends up being a cool $15k and while you may have created a great memory, you're now broke. Not exactly how I want to enter the blessed union of marriage. (And by no means am I knocking those who have had $15k and over weddings. To each his own is my opinion!!). My vision for this wedding is simple. In every sense of the word. I want rustic/country chic. Think: mason jars and lace, flowy dresses, hay bales, a barn. 

Yes, a barn. If we can get married in a beautiful barn, that is the ultimate dream. Kyrin and I have discussed this day for years and the Fall has always been a special time for us and not to mention that the season means a barn wedding is perfectly acceptable :) So, the plan (which as most of you know hasn't changed for about five years lol) is a Fall wedding. We are open to September but definitely prefer October for a few reasons: the leaves don't change til mid-October and that makes a world of difference in photos and color choices for foliage, October is the driest month and while rain is said to be good luck on your big day, I would really prefer it stays away during our I Dos, we have friends getting married at the end of September (and this is not about to be the real life version of Bride Wars), and the weather isn't humid or hot which is a must have for the Mr. ;)

Well, back to the venue hunt. We found a perfect place and immediately were stunned by the beauty and uniqueness of the location. Unfortunately, the only available date was the last weekend in October, which means we would be taking quite a risk in terms of weather. Virginia can get COLD this time of year and I certainly don't want our guests to suffer. We decided to think about it and keep it as a backup plan because when we started doing more researching, we came upon another venue that sold us with their rustic charm and all inclusive wedding package. We haven't narrowed down anything firm yet but are currently crossing our fingers that a date opens up for the location we have fallen in love with (the owner is checking with a bride that was penciled in and she'll have a week to make her decison on the date we requested). I don't want to jinx it, so I will keep it between us for now. But, as soon as I know for sure and have made the deposit to ensure it's ours, I will let you all know. 

So if you wanna follow me on our adventure feel free. I promise to throw in sprinklings of home projects and trips to my favorite thrift stores along the way. For now, I am gonna try and be patient (and keep those fingers crossed while we wait). 

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment